District / City Level Vigilance & Monitoring Committee
In order to address the health care needs of the people of the country, National Health Mission (NHM) was approved by the Government of India. National Health Mission (NHM) encompasses the two sub-missions of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) and National Urban Health Mission (NUHM). NHM is both flexible and dynamic and is intended to guide City/District/States towards ensuring the achievement of universal access to health care through strengthening of health systems, institutions & capabilities.
National Health Mission (NHM) envisages a robust mechanism for monitoring. Emphasis has been placed on the community monitoring of NHM activities. The Members of Parliament have also been associated with District Health Society (DHS) and Rogi Kalyan Samiti (RKS) concerned with planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
However, it has been felt that the greater involvement of the Members of Parliament will help in ensuring enhanced community involvement and accountability in rural and urban areas.
Therefore, it has been decided to constitute City*/District Level Vigilance and Monitoring Committee of NHM under the chairmanship of the MP of Lok Sabha in each City/District to monitor the progress of implementation of NHM.
The "District/City Level Vigilance & Monitoring Committee" will monitor the progress of implementation of National Health Mission (both NRHM & NUHM) under the overall Framework for Implementation. The Committee will also review strict adherence to prudent fiscal norms, inter-sectoral convergence, community participation and monitoring.
Note: (*) For Seven Mega Cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Chennai & Bengaluru.
The composition of District/City Level Vigilance & Monitoring Committees shall be as follows:
- Chairman : The Chairman of the District/City Level Vigilance & Monitoring Committee would be a Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) elected from the District/City, nominated by the concerned State Government as per the following criteria:
- Where there are more than one Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) or Union Minister(s) representing a District/City, the order of nomination of Chairperson would be the Speaker (Lok Sabha), Deputy Speaker (Lok Sabha), Minister in the Union Council of Ministers or Leader of the Opposition as applicable.
- If none of the Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha) representing the District/City holds any office as referred above, the senior most Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) shall be nominated as the Chairman.
- Further, in case of same seniority, the Chairman shall be the Member of Parliament having the largest area under the jurisdiction of his/her Parliamentary Constituency in the District/City.
- The other Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha) representing the District/City shall be designated as Co-Chairman.
In the absence of the designated Chairman, Co-Chairman (if any), with consensus among the Co-Chairman present, would preside over the meeting. If no Chairman/Co-Chairman is present, the Members who are present shall elect a Chairman from among themselves to preside over the scheduled meetings. In case of any dispute regarding nomination of Chairman, the decision will be taken by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the Committee will be notified by the Ministry.
- Member Secretary : The Member Secretary of the District/City level Vigilance & Monitoring Committee would be Municipal Commissioner / District Magistrate /Additional District Magistrate / Sub-divisional Magistrate / Chief Medical Officer to be designated by the State Government.
- Members : The other Members of the Committee shall be as follows:
- All MPs (Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha) of the District/City to be designated as Co-Chairman.
- All members of the State Legislative Assembly/Council belonging to the District/City.
- Chairman of Zila Parishad / Panchayat.
- The Mayor of the City / Municipal Corporation.
- Municipal Commissioner of the Municipal area.
- All Chairpersons of Panchayat Samities (Block Pramukh) of the District.
- CEO/ Project Director, DRDA.
- Chief Officers in charge of departments of Women & Child Development, Water Supply & Sanitation and School Education and Social Justice & Empowerment, Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (HUPA), Urban Development (UD).
- Eminent person from medical, social or public fields to be nominated by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- To review the progress of implementation of the annual District/City Health Action Plan under NHM and provide guidance on quarterly basis.
- To review the release of funds by Centre and States, utilization thereof and adherence to prudent fiscal norms.
- To undertake regular visits to the health facilities in rural/urban/city areas and ensure the availability of human resource at various levels.
- To ensure that National Health Programmes are being optimally implemented.
- To ensure constructive engagement and participation of all concerned departments in the city/district for multi-sectoral intervention.
- To review and ensure that effective inter-sectoral convergence and robust community monitoring and participation is in place.
- To recommend corrective measures to ensure that the programme objectives are achieved and services delivered in an effective as well as efficient manner.
- To consider complaints, if any, with regard to implementation of NHM in the district/city for appropriate action.
- To put in place effective oversight mechanisms.
|| (618 KB)
|| (175 KB)